David Debose or Dubose, was born abt. 1780 in South Carolina and died between 1860-1870 in Harrison County, Mississippi. He married Rebecca (LNU, possibly Cornwallis or Russell). The 1840 census of Jackson County, Mississippi shows David Debuske (Debose) had 10 free white persons and 1 slave in his household. This number included 6 males less than age 20, 2 females less than age 20 along with David and an adult female age 30-39, probably his wife, Rebecca.
By 1850, there was only 1 child listed in the household with David and Rebecca- their son, Allen. That was a significant change for them- from a full house with 10 people residing in it to a small household with 3 people, in a period of 10 years. Where had all of their children gone? Well, their oldest son, James William Debose had married abt. 1847 and lived in the house next door (house #244) with his wife and their two young children. Their son, Henry James Debose was married also and resided two houses down (house #247) with his wife and two young children. Their daughter, Rebecca, too was married with two young children- she and her husband resided in Greene County, Mississippi. Their daughter, Eliza Debose, married Derias Woodard and their family resided next door (house #246). Their sons, Riley and Walter are unaccounted for that year. Some say that Walter moved to Texas. Allen resided at home. That leaves one more child unaccounted for- a son, unnamed in our family search thus far.
|1850 Jackson County, Mississippi|
On the 1850 census, David's age was listed incorrectly- he was NOT 84 years old. He was more like 70 years old. His occupation is listed as a miller and farmer and he reported that he was born in South Carolina. His wife, Rebecca was born in Georgia according to this same record.
|1860 Harrison County, Mississippi, Police Dist #4|
By 1860, David and Rebecca resided with son, Henry in Harrison County, Mississippi. The census taker listed everyone in the household as being born in Mississippi. Was he in a hurry, or did he receive incorrect information from the household member providing it? This is why we can't depend on census records for accurate information- there are numerous errors often found in the information. It is assumed that David passed away between 1860 and 1870, as he isn't listed on the next census.
Ten years later, Rebecca is shown on the census in Jackson County, Mississippi, residing next door to daughter, Rebecca "Byrd". Rebecca probably died sometime between 1870 and 1880, as she hasn't been found on the 1880 census.
|1870 Jackson County, Mississippi, Township 3, Range 7|
Children of David and Rebecca Debose:
1. David William Debose- born 15 April 1818 in Mississippi and died 20 April 1902 in Jackson County, Mississippi; married abt. 1847, Deborah Ann Rouse. She was born 20 December 1822 and died 19 February 1901. Both are buried in the Dubose Cemetery located in Vancleave, Jackson County, Mississippi.
2. Henry James Debose- 20 June 1821 in Mississippi and died 05 June 1896 in Pearl River County, Mississippi; married Martha J Woodard abt. 1847. She was born abt. 1828 in Greene County, Mississippi and died abt. 1920. She was the daughter of Elisha Woodard and Susan Sanders.
3. Rebecca Debose- born October 1822, died between 1910-1920; married Edward G. Byrd. He was born 21 September 1816 and died 20 January 1890 in George County, Mississippi. Both are buried in the Hilltop Cemetery in Lucedale, George County, Mississippi.
4. Riley Debose- born abt. 1826 in Mississippi, date of death unknown. During the civil war, he was a Private with the 7th Battalion, Mississippi Infantry, Company B. No further information.
5. Eliza Debose- born abt. 1828 in Mississippi, died abt. 1900; married Derias Woodard, son of Elish Woodard and Susan Sanders. Click here for more information.
6. Walter Debose- born abt. 1829 in Mississippi. No further information.
7. Allen Debose- born abt. 1834 in Mississippi, died 22 February 1865. He was a Private with Company H, 1st Regiment, Louisiana. He was laid to rest in the Chalmette National Cemetery in St. Bernard Parish, Louisiana. No further information.
8. Unknown Male