Sunday, March 11, 2012

Sharing Memories 2012 (Week 11): Dad and Daddy




It didn't take long for Mom and Frank to settle into married life. Right away they talked of having children. It had been Mom's desire to have four children- one down, three to go.

They had the painstaking task of "undoing" the effects of having one spoiled little girl...me, LOL. I had been allowed to pout and whine to get my way, without hardly being punished for my misbehavior... thanks to my Granny and uncles. Mom agreed with Frank that he should treat me like his own child and discipline me accordingly. As long as he was doing it properly, Mom would not defend me or stand in his way. It took time and patience but eventually my behavior improved and I was no longer the screaming little brat that demanded everyone's attention.

Eventually, I would call Frank "Dad". After all, he earned the right to the title. Just like Mom, he fed me, bathed me, clothed me and held me. He was, and still is, everything I needed in a father. When I mention "Dad", it is Frank that I am referring to. When I mention "Daddy Charles", it is my biological father that I am writing of. I just wanted to make that clear so there will be less confusion for my readers.

I have many wonderful memories of times spent with Daddy Charles which I will write about as well.  I treasure them enormously.  How blessed I was as a child to receive love from two fathers, each in their own special way :)

"Anyone can be a father, but it takes someone special to be a DAD"...


No comments:

Post a Comment