Sunday, September 2, 2012

Sharing Memories (Week 36): Man's First Step on the Moon

The date was July 20, 1969.  This day made history in the world of space exploration.  The people of America and the rest of the world tuned in to watch... 


At 4:18 P.M. EDT, Neil Armstrong of the Apollo 11 crew made history by becoming the first man to set foot onto the moon's surface.  His words were captioned in newspapers and magazines nationwide: "That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind".  


I was about ten years old then and remember watching the details of their moon landing on television. I remember thinking of how awesome the event was... how these men must feel, walking on the moon's surface, so far away from home. I imagined what it was like... the thrill and excitement of exploring the unknown, the fame, the fear.





That event occured over 40 years ago. Since then many advances have been made in space exploration. However, as I look back at those very first steps that were made in 1969, I feel proud to be able to say "I remember that"...


No comments:

Post a Comment