Saturday, January 28, 2012

Abundant Genealogy- Week Four: Free Offline Genealogy Tools

Week 4 – Free Offline Genealogy Tools: For which free offline genealogy tool are you most grateful? How did you find this tool and how has it benefitted your genealogy? Describe to others how to access this tool and spread the genealogy love.  This challenge runs from Sunday, January 22, 2012 through Saturday, January 28, 2012.

My favorite offline genealogy tool is our local library.  The Columbia-Marion County Public LIbrary has a room specific to genealogy research and I've spent many hours there, browsing through books, newspapers, family files and using the microfilm reader.  I don't go as to the library as often as I used to but I plan to begin going again on my days off because I want to obtain more information on our local history.  

I also like to go to the local courthouses and browse through the books of marriage records.  

I know there are many more available offline resources in our area, such as the Family Research Center, the South Mississippi Genealogy Society and the genealogy library at the University of Southern Mississippi.  I need to make the time to visit these places- who knows what I might be missing out on.  


No comments:

Post a Comment