Saturday, August 18, 2012

John Connerly, c.1716-1751, NC

John Connerly, my paternal 6th great-grandfather, was born c. 1716 in Johnston County (formerly Craven County), North Carolina.  He married Keziah Herring, daughter of Samuel Herring and Anne Williams.  She was born c. 1715 in Isle of Wight County, Virginia.  (John Connerly was mentioned in the will of Samuel Herring, dated October 22, 1750, probated December 1750 in Johnston County, NC.  Samuel Herring leaves "one grey mare excepted- she: I give and bequeath to my son-in-law Jno Conerly").

John Connerly was issued a land grant of 300 acres in the County of Duplin, North Carolina.  (Duplin County Grant Book 10, p. 264, File 99. Dated April 2, 1751)

John made will October 1751.  He died 17 November 1751.  His will mentions three children- William, Patience and Cullen.  Also mentioned in his will were Stephen Herring, the brother of his wife, Keziah and brother "Richard Jones" (it is uncertain of the actual relationship, if any, of John to Richard Jones).

Will of John Connerly:

In the name of God Amen the seventeenth of Oct. 1751, I, John Connerly, of the County of Johnston, being very sick and weak in body but of perfect mind and memory Thanks be given to Almighty God therefore calling unto mind the mortality of my Body and knowing that it is appointed for all men once to die do make and ordain this my last Will and testament that is to say principally and first of all I give and recommend my Soul into the Hands of God that in descent Christian Burial at the discretion of my executor.  Nothing doubting but at the general resurrection I shall receive the same again by the mighty power of God and as touching such Worldy Estate wherewith it hath pleased God to bless me in this life.  I give demise and dispose of the same in the following manner and form imprimis I give and bequeath to my well beloved wife Kesiah Connerly the young mare that was left me by her Father gave her at her marriage and the feather bed she had at the time of marriage and the Plantation whereon I now live with one hundred and fifty acres of land more or less being part of the survey.  Item I give and bequeath to my brothers, Richard Jones and Stephen Herring the remainder of the Survey to be Divided as hath been agreed on the said Stephen paying his part of the caust.  Item I give and bequeath to my well beloved son William Connerly my bay maire and colt my son Cullen to have the first colt the Mair brings.  Item I give and bequeath to my well beloved daughter Patience Connerly my black mair and her increase.  Item I likewise give and bequeath to my three children whose names are above written at the time of coming to age or at the day of marriage five cows and calves to each.  Item I give and bequeath to my sons William and Cullen each of them one feather bed.  Item I give to my daughter Patience two iron pots, two pewter basons, four plates, one dish.  Item I give to my two sons three hundred acres of land lying on the North East of Cape Fear in Duplin County to be equally divided between them.  Item I give to my son William my gun.  Item what I have by me and what is due and the remains of my stock I desire to be put to the use of buying a young negro woman and if she should breed I desire her increase to be equally divided among my children and if that cannot be done the money debts and Stock last mentioned to be equally divided among my three Children herein this will mentioned.  Item I give to my wife my horse and all my other moveables I likewise constitute make and ordain Anthony Herring, Blacksmith, to be my sole executor of this my last Will and Testament and I hereby utterly disallow revoke and disanul all and every other former Testaments Wills Legacies and Bequests and Executors by me in any ways before named willed and bequeathed Ratifying and Confirming this and no other to be my last Will and Testament in Witness whereof I have here unto set my Hand and Seal this 17 Day of October 1751.
Signed and Sealed and Published Jn Connerly (his mark) in presence of us.
Elizabeth Jones (her mark) Griffin Jones

Johnston County March Court 1752 Present His Majestys Justices the last Will and Testament of John Connerly late of Johnston County deceased was exhibited into court and proved by the Oaths of Elizabeth Jones and Griffin Jones.  Evidence there to who swore that they saw the Testator sign seal publish and declare the same to be his last Will and Testament and was at the time thereof of sound and disposing memory after which Anthony Herring Exr herein mentioned appeared in Court and was qualified by taking the Oath of an Exrs 
Ordered that Mr. Secretary have notice that letters issued accordingly.  Test letters granted and issued 9 July 1752.  Chas Young C.C.

(Information from  Descendants of John Connerly (    - 1751) NC and Cullen Conerly (ca 1745- 1811) NC To The Present 1986, Lampton, William A. and Irma, Marion County Public Library, Columbia, Miss. *929.2 L)

                                                                   
Children of John Connerly and Keziah Herring:


i.    William Conerly (1740-1807), married Margaret Jackson
ii.   Patience Conerly (1741-1845)
iii.  Cullen Conerly (1745-1811), married Letitia (Telisha) Ward

No comments:

Post a Comment